Crushing the Code New York City: Commercial is a course that prepares design and building professionals to comply with the many requirements in the 2020 NYCECC and create more energy-efficient buildings in the process. In an era of more stringent code enforcement, the course provides critical knowledge on significant changes, new provisions and best practices to avoid objections and stalled projects.
By the end of this full-day course, participants will:
- Understand the structure and rationale behind the energy code, including the new provisions of the 2020 NYCECC and how they relate to NYC’s new emissions legislation;
- Differentiate between the various compliance pathways, including required testing and documentation;
- Recognize the interdependence of the building envelope, mechanical and lighting systems and their impacts on energy code compliance;
- Identify areas for improved project communication and coordination to support compliance.
Note: This course is not intended for those who want to learn energy modeling or how to use COMcheck or REScheck, but will teach you the prescriptive requirements that underlie those programs.
Each Crushing the Code NYC course is live and interactive, led by a certified instructor with more than seven years of professional building or design experience, a passion for sustainability, and in-depth knowledge of the green building industry.
Want to learn more before the course? Read our Energy Code Brief to develop a general understanding of the 2020 NYCECC.
Please note, this class is in-person at Urban Green Council’s office, with limited class size. All attendees will be required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 before they enter the office. UGC staff will be checking proof of vaccination upon arrival. Students who are not vaccinated or fail to provide proper vaccine identification will not be permitted inside the office. The following are acceptable proof of vaccination:
- Your CDC vaccination card — A photo or photocopy of this card is also acceptable.
- NYC vaccination record or other official immunization record from within or outside the U.S., including from your health care provider. A photo or photocopy of this card is also acceptable.
- NYC COVID Safe App — You can upload to this app a photo of your CDC vaccination card or other official record, along with your photo ID.
- Excelsior Pass — To use this app, you will need the phone number or email address associated with your NYC vaccination record. If you are unable to use this app, try one of the other options listed above.
- Please also bring some form of personal identification that UGC staff can match with your proof of vaccination.
Urban Green Council