Dear Friends of the AIANY Women in Architecture Committee,
We have a special roundtable planned at our last 2019 Monthly Committee Meeting on the 20th of November.
After our regular announcements of the AIANY WIA upcoming committee events, related events around town, related topics, and good reads, please join us for a conversation on Motherhood and the Career Path, as a follow-up from our June 20 roundtable on Rejoining the Workforce After Taking Parental Leave.
Betty Rexrode, of Rexrode Chirigos Architects, will moderate a group of panelists who will share their experiences, challenges, and rewards of motherhood and how it affects their career paths. This open discussion will address questions in planning to start a family, in making it all work, and in moving forward.
Here are some reference articles related to the discussion topic:
• “Why Women Still Can’t Have It All” by Anne Marie Slaughter |The Atlantic, July 2012
• “Why I Put My Wife’s Career First “ by Andrew Moravcsic (Anne Marie Slaughter’s Husband) | The Atlantic, October 2015
• Madame Architect | Interviews with women architects and their comments on practice and motherhood
• “A Day in the Life of an ArchiMom: To call Amy Kalar a busy working mother would be an understatement “ by Caitlin Reagan | AIA ARCHITECT PRACTICE
• “Women with big jobs and big families: Balancing really isn’t that hard” by Laura Vanderkam | Fortune, June 2015
Everyone is welcome to attend!
We look forward to seeing you on November 20th and thank you in advance for your participation and support.
Vivian Lee & Kerry Nolan
AIANY WIA Committee Co-Chairs
The committees of AIA New York are the foundations from which the Chapter positions itself in the field of architecture, whether through discussion, advocacy, policy making and development, event and exhibition planning, or other endeavors.
Committees meet monthly, usually at the Center for Architecture. AIA members, AIA associate members, and general public are all welcome to participate.
If you have questions or are considering attending a meeting for the first time, contact each committee’s co-chairs for more information at aiany.org/committees.
AIANY Women in Architecture Committee