Using prepared modeled examples, this course will provide a practical understanding of current energy modeling programs, workflows, and analyses for design project team members. Analyses will include early design sensitivity studies, later design analyses that support client proposals, and energy modeling to meet requirements for code compliance and LEED certification. Participants will learn and apply early design workflows that provide performance feedback for projects that seek to meet and exceed minimum energy code requirements.
Participants will receive in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience related to:
- The purposes and aims of energy modeling
- Overview of basic energy modeling principles
- The “world of metrics” and choosing the right study for the right purpose
- Interpretations of common energy modeling graphics
- How to interpret climate into useful design criteria and generate climate-related graphics
- Analysis of building massing
- Construction of a Test-Box energy model
- Walkthrough of additional examples with Q & A, including the generation of graphics for client meetings and marketing to the public
- Portable laptop computer with the following software: Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, GHPython, Ladybug Tools, OpenStudio 2.5 (available for download here)
- Some familiarity with Ladybug and Honeybee
Chris Mackey, Co-Founder and Lead Developer, Ladybug Tools LLC
Chris Mackey hails from a mixed background of architecture and building science, having applied Ladybug Tools to both professional architecture practice and the architecture + building technology degrees that he holds from MIT. He may be best known for his Ladybug + Honeybee tutorial videos, which are consulted as a learning reference for thousands of professionals and students across the globe.
As a reminder, AIA National policy requires participants to attend the entire educational portion of an event to receive continuing education credits. We encourage all participants to arrive on time to comply with this policy.
AIANY Committee on the Environment