As host chapter of the annual national AIA gathering, A’18 Conference on Architecture (June 20-23, 2018), AIANY needs volunteers to help in various capacities. The conference will take place primarily at the Javits Convention Center, and additional educational sessions will be held at the Midtown Hilton Hotel and at The New School in Greenwich Village. AIANY has organized 80 tours, and projects over 8,000 participants. We will need over 100 volunteers to help with tasks that fall along the following lines:
• TOURS: We are looking for individuals who are interested in being trained to lead tours, help with tour check-in, assist tour leaders as “escorts” or “sweepers,” and coordinate general logistics. For guides, we seek individuals who have strong research and verbal communication skills. For check-in, escorting, and coordination, we seek individuals who are organized, vocal, reliable, confident travelers, and comfortable with group management.
• RESEARCH AND WRITING: We are planning to produce a publication/guide that will help conference attendees navigate New York. We will need assistance compiling listings, securing artwork, researching, and writing. Volunteers with strong research and writing skills—as well as an enthusiasm to share their knowledge about where to go and what to do in New York—would be welcome!
• EXHIBITION/DISPLAY: We are planning an installation at Javits (yet to be determined), and anticipate the need for volunteers to help with production, coordination, and installation. Experience with exhibition or display design and installation is a plus.
• WELCOME AMBASSADORS: AIANY will have a welcome kiosk situated in the Crystal Palace (entrance pavilion) of the Javits Convention Center. We seek volunteers to staff the desk, answer questions, and provide general assistance and advice to visitors.
• LEGACY PROJECT: Each year, the AIA conference promotes a “Day of Service,” giving all attendees the opportunity to volunteer to work on a local project, typically a physical improvement of a nonprofit facility in need. The AIANY is working now to identify potential partners and a project (or projects), and will require advance coordination and a full day of physical work (scheduled on the last conference day, Saturday June 23, 2018).
• GENVERAL VOLUNTEERS: AIA National will also issue a call for volunteers to staff the convention, scan badges, and staff information desks.
Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteers will earn discounts on registration. Five hours of volunteering during the Convention dates yields one day free registration; 10 hours yields two days. We encourage you to share this opportunity with your co-workers, employees, and best students. Other benefits include credit on the AIANY website and convention publication, access to special events, and (if available) complimentary tickets on select tours.
If you are interested in helping, please attend our informational session on November 16 at the Center for Architecture. Please register for the kickoff using the link below AND send us information about yourself and your strengths and interests.
Please Note: Registration for AIA New York and Center for Architecture events constitutes your agreement to the use of you and your guest(s) image or voice in event-related digital and print reproductions (photo/video/etc). If you do NOT agree, email email@example.com.
6pm to 8pm